One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story found in Matthew 15 where the gentile woman who has the demon-possessed daughter runs up to Jesus, begging Him to deliver her little girl. It's important to note a couple of things about this story.
- Jesus traveled 50 miles outside of Judea to the countries of Tyre and Sidon for the express purpose of meeting this woman. After he saved her daughter, he went right back to Galilee.
- The woman addressed him as "Son of David" which in those days essentially meant the Messiah. In other words, she believed He was the the Son of God.
- She cried out to him several times and received no answer from Him but silence
- The disciples (an example of us Christians today) were annoyed with her and wanted Jesus to send her away. How often do we do that with people that bug us.
- Jesus finally answered her and basically told her He didn't come to heal her daughter (She was not a Jew)
- Even after this discouraging answer, the woman did NOT give up. Instead, she cried all the louder and worshiped Him
- Jesus then basically insulted her by saying that compared to the Jewish people, she was like a dog.
- Yet even in light if Jesus' silence, even in light of his discouragment, even in light of his rebuke, she did NOT GIVE UP. Instead, she humbled herself even further, acknowleding that yes, she was a dog, but didn't the dogs receive crumbs from their master's table.
- Then, Jesus turned, praised her great faith and delivered her daughter right on the spot!
You may not get exactly what you asked for, but through the process, Jesus will change your heart, change your desires and make them line up with His. Then, He truly will give you the desires of your heart.
Take it from me, a woman who has experienced that very thing!