If you feel the same way, yet you have a need to get out there and have your message heard, then here's some tips that have worked for me.
- Be consistent on your blog. Blog every week or on certain days and stick to a schedule so your followers know what to expect on what day when they visit your blog. (On this blog, I do a devotional on Monday, A Cool Picture on Wednesday, and Something about Writing on Friday)
- Be consistent in your Tweets and your posts on Facebook and don't use them to advertise yourself. Use Facebook to get to know other people.
- In fact, it's important to approach Social Media not as a marketing tool but as a way to get to know a lot of different people.
- Think of something you have to offer your "social" contacts, whether it be something instructional, something inspirational, something fun. That's why I do a devotional on this blog every Monday and something instructional every Friday. It's important to offer something of value to your social followers.
- Gather a group of devoted friends/followers who will help spread the word about your books or whatever it is you're selling. This takes time and energy developing this tight group as you get to know people on these media sites.
- And last, but not least, think of your interactions with others as a ministry not marketing. Jesus said "Give and it shall be given unto you" Even though you may be trying to sell something, in God's economy, it's important to give freely first without any expectations and leave the results up to God.
Speaking of friendship, look me up on Twitter! I just joined!
So, what are your thoughts on Social Media? What do you use it for? Have you made new friends? Do you enjoy hearing what others are doing? If you are trying to sell something, has it worked? Or are you one of those people who'd rather boil in oil than be social on the internet? I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, opinions and if you have any suggestions on how a true introvert can use these social outlets better.