National Talk like a Pirate day is coming up this Friday, September 19th. (Yes, there is such a day. Just google it and find out!) Anyway, in honor of this glorious occasion and since I've a bit o' experience wit' the gentlemen o' fortune, I thought it would be a fun idea to give you five pirate phrases and see if you can figure out what they mean. The person who comes the closest in meaning will receive (drumrolll) 3 Christian Fiction books.
1. Any one of my pirate novels you wish (The Redemption, The Reliance, The Restitution)
2. Trophy Wives Club by Kristin Billerbeck
3. On Sparrow Hill by Maureen Lang
Here be the phrases:
1. Show a glim: "Show a glim, ye drunken dogs!"
2. Open yer lugholes: "Come over 'ere and open yer lugholes."
3. Scut: "Why, the yellow scut!"
4. Cold-gutted: "Ye cold-gutted shark!"
5. Fo'c'sle: "Belay there ye fo'c'sle swab!"
I'll judge the entries when I return home from my conference (Sept 18-21st. I'll be in Minnesota at the Mall of America for a book signing) and will post the winner on Sept 24th.
Good luck to ye and a fair wind!