Upon returning to England, Belcher, the commander of the squadron, along with Captain Kellett and the other captains of the ships were tried by court martial for abandoning four worthy sea vessels. All were acquitted but Belcher never received another commission.
The British sailed the ship for several more years until she was laid to rest at Chatham dockyard in 1879. After the ship was dismantled, Queen Victoria commissioned that four desks be built from it's timbers. One she gave as a gift to President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880. Another smaller lady's desk was presented to the widow of Henry Grinnell. Two more the queen kept herself, one of which is the exact replica of the one presented to Rutherford, which currently resides in Windsor Castle.
The plate on the front of the desk presented to President Hayes reads:
The ship was purchased, fitted out and sent to England as a gift to HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA by the PRESIDENT AND PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES as a token of goodwill & friendship. This table was made from her timbers when she was broken up, and is presented by the QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN to the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES as a memorial of the courtesy and loving kindness which dictated the offer of the gift of the RESOLUTE.
Pretty awesome, huh?