A good father
- Puts his children before anyone and anything else
- Protects his children with his own life
- Provides for all his childrens' needs
- Teaches his sons to be strong warriors
- Cherishes his daughters like princesses
- Teaches both sons and daughters to be strong, independent, hardworking, responsible, people of integrity, honor, decency, courageous, secure in who God made them to be!
- Teaches his kids about God, the meaning of life, the purpose, the way to salvation.
- Reads Scripture to his kids and studies God's Word with them
- Guides and directs them down the right path
- Disciplines in love when necessary
- Spends time playing with them
- Spends time listening to them.
A mother's job is equally important, but different. God calls fathers to do the leading and the teaching, to raise up Godly kids. It is the man's job to be the spiritual leader of the home.
I grew up without a father. He was alive and around but he had no desire to see me or know me. For a young shy girl, that was devastating. I didn't realize it at the time, but I ended up being extremely insecure, had very little self-worth, had no idea who I was or what I was doing, and I craved a father's love so much, I sought it in a series of bad, damaging relationships.
Yet I see so many kids who have fathers at home, but their fathers are either abusive, neglectful, or really what I would call "The Provider" because that's all they do. They bring home the pay check that supports the kids. I don't know which is worse. Not having a dad at all or having one who acted as though I didn't exist! Then of course there are those who belittle and beat their children, which is abominable. Most of those kids grow up seriously messed up.
God knew the importance of fathers. He fashioned the family after his own existence as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name Ephesians 3:14-15
God knew that many human fathers would fail their kids. It is a result of man's fall and the wickedness of our hearts.
A father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows, Is God in His holy habitation. Psalm 68:5
The Lord protects the strangers; He supports the fatherless and the widow, But He thwarts the way of the wicked. Psalm 146:9
Yea, yea, you may say. God is my father... I've heard that before. He's everybody's father. And besides He's in heaven. I'm here. But that's not true. He is in you, and around you and everywhere. And He is uniquely your Dad. Why? Because He created you with His own hands before you were born. He fashioned you just like you are because He knew He would adore you! He is your Dad! If you go back up and read the list of what a good Dad does, I'm sure you'll see that He does all that and More!!
If you'd like to hear one young lady's struggle with having an absent father, click here.. you'll be glad you did. Her story really touched me!