Welcome to my annual Talk Like a Pirate Day Contest!!!!
ENTER the contest, WIN A PRIZE. I be givin' away TWO prizes this year. First prize will be a Wooden Pirate ship (pic below) An' the second prize be a signed copy o' any of me pirate tales.
Now for our Contest!!! The followin' be sentences of pirate speak. The phrase in red be the one ye need t' translate. Leave a comment wit yer answer fer each of the seven phrases and ye'll be automatically entered to win. To win ye do not have to get the answers correct, but ye must be tryin'!!To win the ship, ye must live in the United States. To win the book, ye must be in the US or Canada or will willin' t' accept an E-book.
PLEASE no cheatin'!! Don't go lookin' up the answers!!
Ready?? He ye go!!
1. Ye bunch of lilly-livered wastrels! Do ye think ye can stand thar an' swing the lead without the cap'n noticin'?
A. Draw pictures on the deck
B. A pirate game involving an ax swinging on a rope tied to the mast
C. A term meaning to slack off
D. Steal some of the booty before it is counted by the Quartermaster
2. If ye be thinkin' to hornsswaggle me, yer goin' t' have t' go thru me sword first.
A. Beat someone with the brass tip of a horn
B. Cheat or defraud someone
C. Strip a man of his clothes and tie him to the main mast
D. A punishment for pirates wherein each member of the crew got to slug them once
3. I'd know that scalawag anywhere by the cut of his jib!
A. A certain style of clothing
B. A wound from battle
C. A person's appearance
D. The way a sailor raises the jib sail
4. Did ye e'er see a bladder of air like these three fellows?
A. Someone who is self-important, overbearing
B. Someone who talks too much
C. Someone who is overweight
D. Someone who is lightweight
5. Come o'er here and open your lugholes!
A. The hole where gunpowder is poured in a pistol
C. The cork in a bottle of rum
D. The holes on the side of the ship where water runs off
6. Well done, bawcocky boys, clear the guns. Tis our turn next!
B. Boys who tend the chickens on ships
C. New sailors
D. Fine, Admirable
7. They'll pin their hopes upon a lout of a parson, a squab who neither practices nor believes what he preaches.
A. Short, plump person
C. Person of lower intelligence
D. Person who cleans the decks of ships
Me an' Cap'n Jack Sparrow thank ye fer droppin' by!! And wish ye a VERY HAPPY Talk like a pirate Day!!! I will announce the winners next Friday, Sept 27th!