It was covered with dust and the pages were crinkly with age, but I opened it up and somewhere in the middle of reading through it cover to cover, I got saved. However, I did start by reading Psalm 103. I had totally forgotten why that particular Scripture used to be my favorite, but it became immediately clear as I read it, and even MORE clear after my heart became God's. For me, this particular Psalm has become my go-to Psalm whenever I feel discouraged or start doubting or feel insecure or life just gets me down. I call it my Psalm of Remembrance because it helps me to remember who God is and everything He's done for me.
I won't recite it here but allow me to list the 17 attributes this Psalm declares about God
- God forgives all your sins
- He heals all your diseases
- He redeems your life from the pit
- He crowns you with loving kindness and compassion
- He satisfies your years with good things
- He renews your youth like the eagle
- He preforms righteous deeds and judgements for the oppressed
- God is compassionate and gracious toward you
- He is slow in anger toward you
- He is abounding in loving kindness toward you
- God has not dealt with you according to your sins
- He has not given you what you deserve
- As high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love toward you.
- As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed your sins from you
- Just as a Father has compassion on His children, so has the Lord compassion on you
- The loving kindness of the Lord toward you is from everlasting to everlasting
- His righteousness is toward your children and your children's children
Let's face it, we humans forget. We go about our lives and our day and we often forget about God. Yes, we know He's there and we say our prayers, but we forget in our hearts who He really is and all He really has done for us. I encourage you to find your own Scripture that speaks to you and reminds you what God has done for you. Then put it on an index card and carry it around, stick it on your computer monitor or above the kitchen sink or on the dash of your car and remember that God will NEVER leave you and that He is for you, not against you!