Long: to have an earnest or strong desire or craving; yearn:
To long for Jesus to appear therefore means it is something you crave, you earnestly desire, and hence, something you think about every day.
I often meet Christians who could care less about Jesus' return. They claim that we won't know the day or hour, so why bother watching? Or they say that keeping up with world events as they relate to Biblical Prophecy is just too depressing and frightening. Believe me, I get the frightening part. I know some things about this world that I would never post on this blog because it would cause way too much fear. Some days I wish I didn't know so much, but the Lord has placed me as a watchman, so that is what I do.
However, I've also come to realize that many of these excuses are just that. Excuses. If a bride truly loved her fiance and she knew he would be coming to get her soon for the wedding, that is ALL she'd be thinking about. She'd go about her days and her work, but she'd be constantly looking out the window, glancing down the street, listening for him, hoping for that first glance at him coming for her!
The trouble with most Christians is they don't love the Lord as much as they should. They don't long to see Him, to be with Him. They are too busy with their own lives here on earth, going to school, getting married, starting a career, having children, going on vacations, enjoying sports and music, etc. They rarely think of Jesus except at church or maybe if they read their Bible occasionally. Some even want Jesus to delay His return because they have things they are looking forward to doing in the future and His return would interrupt their lives.
There are a ton of Scriptures that promise rewards and blessings to those believers who anxiously await and watch for the return of Jesus.
Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. 2 Tim 4:8
Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. 2 Peter 3:11-13
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure. 1 john 3:2-4
Instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. Titus 2:12-14
But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:16
There are also warnings issued for those who don't watch for the Lord's return.
Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. Rev 3:3
“Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.” Rev 16:15
If you aren't longing for and watching for the Lord's return, then please, don't get mad at me, don't click away from this post, but determine within yourself to spend more time with Jesus, in His Word, and in His presence. Ask Him to change your heart. I guarantee that the more time you spend with Him, the more you will fall in love with Him, and the more you fall in love with Him, the more the things of this world will fade and you will long to be with Him.
We are commanded to watch for His return. It is not a suggestion. To not watch, to not be excited for His soon return goes against Scripture. Yet rarely do we see any pastors or Bible Teachers speaking of it. They will be held accountable as being shepherds in these last days who failed to warn their flocks. But you are responsible for you and your family.
Here's just a sampling of watch commands in the New Testament
- Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. Matt 24:42
- Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. Matt 25:13
- Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is. Mark 13:33
- Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning— Mark 13:35
- Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Mark 14:38
- Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them. Luke 12:37
- But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Luke 12:39
- Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.” Luke 21:36
- Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. 1 cor 16:13
- Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— Ephesians 6:18
- Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 1 Thess 5:6
- But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers. 1 Peter 4:7
- Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. Rev 3:2
I urge you if you haven't already to fall madly in love with the Lord. There is nothing and no one in this world who compares to Him!