Let's face it. There's tons of deception in the world today. If you don't know that, then forgive me for saying this, but you are deceived! In fact, we were heavily warned throughout the Bible against deception and told it would increase exponentially in the end times. So, I did a search in the New Testament on the words deceive, deception, deceived, and beware. Here is a list of things we are warned about, things that may deceive us or take us down the wrong path.
1. People who claim to be the Savior of the World.
For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. Matt 24:5
2. False Prophets - within the church telling people false doctrine
Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. Mtt 24:11
For false Christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. Matt 24:24
3. If you think you are pretty smart and wise, you are deceiving yourself. Warning against Pride!
Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 1 Corinthians 3:18
4. If you are purposely sinning by doing the following (found in Ephesians 5:3-5) Fornication (sex outside of marriage), covetousness, foolish talk, course jesting, or idolatry, you have no place in the Kingdom of God
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Ephesians 5:6
5. Don't let someone who is a smooth talker and who seems to know Scripture deceive you! This is why you must know the Bible yourself!
Now this I say lest anyone should deceive you with persuasive words. Colossians 2:4
6. Don't let people trick you into believing that the Church will go through the Tribulation
Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 2 Thess 2:3
7. If you think you don't sin, you are deceived
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.1 John 1:8
8. John in the verse below is speaking about abiding in the truth and in Jesus and in the pure and true Gospel and warning against people trying to trick you.
These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 1 John 2:26
9. Don't be deceived. You can tell a person's heart by their fruit
Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7
10. Don't let your own pride and self-confidence deceive you! Another warning against pride!
The pride of your heart has deceived you, You who dwell in the clefts of the rock, Whose habitation is high; You who say in your heart, ‘Who will bring me down to the ground?’ Obadia 1:3
11. If you willfully sin and commit unrighteous acts you are NOT saved. It doesn't matter what you "believe".
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 1 Corinthians 6:9
12. If you think you can hang out and be friends with non-believers, and not be affected, think again.
Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits. 1 Corinthians 15:33
13. If you sow to the flesh (live for yourself and pleasing yourself and your desires), you will reap to flesh (death)
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. Galatians 6:7
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21
14. In the end many many pastors and preachers (imposters) will try to deceive you!
But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 2 Tim 3:13
15. Beware the end-times Babylonian system!
The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore. For your merchants were the great men of the earth, for by your sorcery all the nations were deceived. Rev 18:23
16. The devil, the beast, and the false prophet will deceive MANY
The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Rev 20:10
17. Do not be deceived by human traditions, philosophy and the principles of this world!
Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. Colossians 2:8
18. Do not Covet (desire what another has)
And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” Luke 12:15
19. Beware of falling away from the Lord! (apparently this can happen)
You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; 2 Peter 3:17
20. Beware of UNBELIEF and turning away from God. (He's talking to believers here... "brethren")
Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; Hebrews 3:12