Peter is my favorite disciple. Why? Because I can relate so much to him. He was emotional, passionate, impulsive, and he usually put his foot in his mouth! Peter's letters are some of my favorites in all the New Testament. I encourage you to read 2 Peter , Chapters 2-3. Peter is discussing the times in which we live. He gives warnings as well as instruction on how to live, how to conduct ourselves before the coming of our Lord and why it is SO VERY IMPORTANT.
First of all, The Lord knows how to rescue the Godly
The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of trials and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment, 2 Peter 2:0
Who are the unjust who are under God's punishment? He tells us in the next several verses. I'll list the attributes here. People who are under God's condemnation and therefore will NOT make the rapture include
- Those who walk according to the flesh
- Those who indulge in polluting passions
- Those who despise authority
- Unreasoning beasts
- Creatures of instinct
- They rail at things of which they are ignorant
- They count it a delight to revel in the daytime, living luxuriously
- They revel in their deceptions and carousing even as they feast with you. (WHAT? These are so-called Christians?)
- Eyes full of harlotry
- Insatiable for sin
- They beguile and bait and lure away unstable souls
- Covetous, Boastful
- Forsake the straight road and gone astray.
- Springs without water and mists driving before a tempest
- They promise liberty but are slaves of depravity
Be eager to be found by Jesus at His coming
And here's the clincher in verse 20-22.
For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world by personal knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, their last condition has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to have turned back from the holy commandment handed on to them. The thing spoken of in the true proverb has happened to them, “The dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “A sow is washed only to wallow in the mire.
I find it very interesting that throughout MOST of Scripture when we see descriptions like this, it ends up being about people who are IN the church. Some pastors call them False-converts, fake Christians, or even lukewarm. This, yet again, is more proof against the Once Saved Always Saved False Doctrine since the person Peter is talking about in the above Scripture obviously knew Jesus personally, but then walked away and went back to the world.
But now the good news. Peter goes on in Chapter 3 to talk about scoffers in the end times, but he ends the chapter with both a warning and instructions. He discusses end time judgements and the Day of the Lord, and then asks a very important question we all need to ask ourselves.
Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be in the meantime in holy behavior that is, in a pattern of daily life that sets you apart as a believer and in godliness displaying profound reverence toward our awesome God, while you earnestly look for and await the coming of the day of God. 2 Peter 3:11-12
- Without spot or blemish (spots and blemishes are sins in Scripture)
- At Peace (with God and man)
- Free from fears and agitating passions (Secure in your salvation and trusting God)
- Be on your guard (Don't ever let down your guard against temptation, evil, and deception)
- Know the Bible, stay close to Jesus and be discerning of false doctrines
- Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ!
Therefore, let me warn you beloved, knowing these things beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men who distort doctrine and fall from your own steadfastness of mind, knowledge, truth, and faith, but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory honor, majesty, splendor both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. 2 Peter 3:17-18
Fellow believers, I urge you to follow Peter's advice. Our time here on earth is growing short. The only thing that matters is that you know Jesus personally and follow Him with all your heart. I can't wait to meet you all in the clouds!!